Katrina Kaif (born Katrina Turquotte on 16 July 1984) in Hong Kong to a Muslim Indian Kashmiri father, Mohammed Kaif, and a British mother, Suzzane Turquotte. Her mother, a Harvard graduate, was a lawyer but later became involved in charity work. Her parents separated when Kaif was very young. Kaif has seven siblings. She was raised in Hawaii and later moved to her mother’s home country, England.
At the age of fourteen she was approached by an agent and she began modeling; her first job was for a jewelry campaign. She continued modeling in London, under a contract with the Models 1 Agency and did campaigns for houses, such as La Senza and Arcadius and even walked on the London Fashion Week.
Kaif’s London modeling-work led her to discover by London-based filmmaker Kaizad Gustad, who gave her a part in his film Boom (2003). She moved to Mumbai and was offered a number of modeling assignments. However, filmmakers were initially hesitant to sign her because she could not speak Hindi.
Kaif saw success with the 2005 film Sarkar where she played the bit part of Abhishek Bachchan’s girlfriend. Her next release, Maine Pyaar Kyun Kiya (2005), where she was paired oppositeSalman Khan, earned her the Stardust Breakthrough Performance Award.
In 2007, Kaif appeared in the hit movie Namastey London, wherein she starred as a British-Indian girl alongside Akshay Kumar for the second time after the box office dud Humko Deewana Kar Gaye (2006). Since then, she had appeared in a series of box office hits that include Apne, Partner and Welcome.2008 saw her play a negative role for the first time in Abbas-Mustan’s hit action thriller Race. She played the role of Saif Ali Khan’s secretary who is secretly in love with his hostile stepbrother played by Akshay Khanna.
Kaif’s second release of the year was Anees Bazmee’s production Singh Is Kinng, opposite Akshay Kumar. Upon release the film was a big success at the box office. Kaif’s final release of the year, Subhash Ghai’s Yuvvraaj, was a commercial failure, but its script has made its way into the Library of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences for artistic merits, original screenplay with a substance and the film as a whole.
She has been dating actor Salman Khan since 2003. Kaif was voted Asia’s Sexiest woman in 2008 and 2009 by the UK-based publication Eastern Eye and was also the most searched celebrity of 2008 and 2009 on Google India. Kaif has also appeared twice on the Reality Show 10 Ka Dum, along with Akshay Kumar to promote her film Singh Is Kinng in August 2008, and with Neil Nitin Mukesh for the promotion of her film New York in June 2009.Kaif appeared on the singing talent show Sa Re Ga Ma Pa with Salman Khan to promote her film Yuvvraaj. Kaif is the model for Mattel’s Bollywood Barbie, which has been released in September 2009.
- 2005: Zee Cine Award for Most Promising Debut, Sarkar
- 2008: IIFA Award for Best Actress, Race
- 2009: Apsara Award for Best Actress In Supporting Role, Race
- 2009: IIFA Award for Best Actress, Singh Is Kinng
- 2009: Stardust Award for Star Of The Year, Singh Is Kinng
- 2009: Stardust Award for Best Actress In A Negative Role, Race
- 2010: Screen Award for Best Actor In Popular Category, Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani
- 2010: Screen Award for Best Actor In Popular Category, New York
- 2010: Stardust Star of the Year Award – Female for New York & Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani
- 2006: Stardust Breakthrough Performance Award (Female), Maine Pyaar Kyun Kiya
- 2006: Idea Zee F Awards, Fashion Diva of the Year
- 2008: Zee Cine Awards, British Indian Actor Award
- 2008: IIFA Awards, Style Diva of the Year
- 2008: Sabsey Favourite Kaun Awards, Sabsey Favourite Heroine, Singh Is Kinng
- 2008: Apsara Film Producers Guild of India Awards, Style Diva of the Year
- 2009: Rajiv Gandhi Award
- 2009: Golden Kela Awards, Dara Singh Award for the Worst Accent
- 2009: Indian Television Awards (Best Entertainers Award), jointly with Ranbir Kapoor
- 2009: Sabsey Favourite Kaun Awards, Sabsey Favourite Heroine
- 2009: Lux Comedy Honors, Best actress with comic excellence
- 2009: Cosmopilitan Awards, Fun Fearless Award
- 2009: Masala Life Style Awards, Best Bollywood Personality Female
- 2009: Aaj Tak Movie Masala Awards, Best Actress for Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani
- 2009: GQ Awards, Women Of The Year
- 2009: ASSOCHAM Award, Performing Excellence
- 2010: Star Screen Awards, Entertainer of the year
- 2010: Stardust Awards, Best Actress – Popular Award for New York & Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani
Honours and Achievements
- 2005: Face of the Year at Lakme India Fashion Week
- 2005: Voted Most Luscious Lips in the Film Industry
- 2008: Most searched Indian celebrity on Google
- 2008: Voted Sexiest Woman Alive by FHM India
- 2008: Sexiest Asian Women by British Magazine Eastern Eye
- 2009: Ranked 48 on Most Desired Woman List by Askmen.com
- 2009: India’s First Barbie Doll by Mattel
- 2009: Most Googled celebrity in India leaving Michael Jackson behind
- 2009: Voted Asia’s Sexiest Women by FHM India
- 2009: Voted by No.1 Hot & Sexy Herione by Filmfare
- 2009: Most Searched Celebrity on Bollywood Hungama
- 2009: Voted Most Desirable Woman on ZOOM’s 50 Most Desirable poll